About The Power Of Internet For Your Motorcycle Related Purchase Decisions


GE Capital Retail Bank completed and released the results of their 2nd annual Major Purchase Shopper Study to quantify the importance of online research in 12categories including powersports related purchase such as a motorcycle  or related product ($500 or more) . Not surprisingly, empowered by technology, online research has skyrocketed in importance among people preparing to make a purchase.

1-  81% start their search process online (up 20 % from last year)

2-  66% of products online research is made from a computer (desktop, laptop), 15% from a mobile device (smartphones, tablets) for a total of 81%

3-  7% say they used their mobile device to conduct online research while in store.

4-  Buyers spend an average of 79 days gathering information before making a major motorcycle purchase.

5-  60 percent of consumers start by searching via a search engine or a motorcycle news website, then go to the retailer’s website.

6- 25% of purchases made as described above are part of a larger project.

7- On average, before making their purchase,.consumers visited 5 unique retailers. At least 3 online merchants or news websites and 2 brick-and-mortar stores. (graph @2013 General Electric Company)

14 Responses to “About The Power Of Internet For Your Motorcycle Related Purchase Decisions”

  1. 1 Brescia Jul 18th, 2013 at 9:51 am

    GE is just confirming the demise of the paper magazine as a tool to buy anything. Well, I go first online to source parts, then I read what others are thinking, then compare prices on different websites. Even ordered parts directly from my Samsung phone.

  2. 2 Jay Carlton Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:30 am

    Exactly the way I do it.

  3. 3 Shifter Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:31 am

    No surprise. Would recommend some vendors to have better websites with secure online ordering.

  4. 4 Rodent Jul 18th, 2013 at 12:23 pm

    The printed word had a good run since Gutenberg invented moveable type, google it and see!

  5. 5 P. Hamilton Jul 18th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

    Reason why we all read Cyril’s website.

  6. 6 Gary Jul 18th, 2013 at 1:00 pm

    Bought a lot of parts I discovered here.

  7. 7 Joe Pardon Jul 18th, 2013 at 1:12 pm

    What we are living is called “Creative Destruction”, a theory developed early 20th century by an Austrian economist called Joseph Schumpeter. Innovation kills industries and creates new ones. Internet killed the paper news industry. Nothing to worry about except if your are a print magazine and were not prepared to adjust to the new digital revolution. Slow death guaranteed.

  8. 8 Guru Jul 18th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

    Cyril? A very smart ass who has also a sharp background in marketing.

  9. 9 Brett Wagner Jul 18th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

    Cyril knows better…than all others.

  10. 10 Arturo Martinez Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:29 am

    A study that motorcycle print magazines will never publish. Lol.

  11. 11 Jeez Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:30 am

    No surprise. Internet power will never stop growing. Just the beginning.

  12. 12 Matt Downey Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:39 am

    Seeing the new parts as soon as they are released, reading what others think, sharing your own experience, comparing offers, finding out about the seller’s website. What not to like about the web?

  13. 13 Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:02 pm

    This is how it ends….
    Not with a bang but with a wimper…..

  14. 14 P. Bradshaw Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:16 am

    Who use the most internet? The youngsters that we need and the baby boomers that we still need! Look at the baby boomers in any rallies. All with smartphones & tablets.

Comments are currently closed.